West Vancouver is one among the several BC municipalities that have received federal grants to remove abandoned boats from their communities. West Vancouver has received $10,000 to remove and dispose of a derelict boat in Caulfeild Cove.
District of West Vancouver’s communications director, Donna Powers, said the grant will be put towards removing a sunken sailboat in Caulfeild Cove. The total cost is $11,340.
District staff, she said was provided information on this boat from local residents who were concerned that it was a hazard to the area.
“The contract for this work was awarded in November and the contractor must first locate the sailboat. The schedule is weather permitting. Once located, it will be removed,” she said The federal government’s abandoned boat program was launched last year as part of an Oceans Protection Plan.
As the name suggests, the program aims to give a helping hand to local governments dealing with abandoned and wrecked vessels in their communities The program also helps to educate small boat owners on how to manage their boats, and support research on boat recycling and environmentally responsible boat design.
In March this year, the federal government announced a grant of $90,000 for Vancouver Fraser Port Authority, BC Parks and the Town of Ladysmith for the removal and disposal of 12 abandoned boats and wrecks form their communities.
Similarly, three harbour authorities were given $140,000 for removal of abandoned boats in Ford Cove Harbour Authority, Powell River Harbour Authority, as well as Edward Harbour Authority, as well as $90,000 was granted last year to remove 26 abandoned boats and wrecks in Pender Harbour and Sechelt Most recently, the federal government gave a contract to a First Nations Marine Company to remove 17 abandoned boats in Salt Spring Island.
The federal government is also funding research over the next three years to develop environmentally friendly methods to recycle and dispose of boats at the end of their life.
The abandoned boat program is part of the government’s ambitious Ocean Protection Plan, a $1.5 billion initiative to create a better marine safety system that will create better regulation and opportunities for local communities, first responders and other authorities to work together to respond to marine emergencies.
The Abandoned Boats Program is also launching a third call for proposals for the assessment, removal and disposal of abandoned and/or wrecked small boats that will be open until March 31, 2019. Another call for proposals will be released later this year.
NOTE: The North Shore Daily Post welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.