These may be the signs of the change North Shore needs.
The province is installing new digital message signs on busy North Shore routes to help traffic flow, prevent secondary collisions and lower gas emissions.
As a six to 12 month pilot project, 16 portable digital message signs have been installed along busy routes between the Lions Gate bridge, Ironworkers Memorial bridge and in advance of on-ramps and off-ramps along Highway 1.
The digital signs inform drivers with real-time information about traffic delays, lane closures and incidents — allowing drivers to select alternative routes when there is a traffic snarl.
If the pilot project is successful, potential locations for permanent digital message signs will be evaluated.
“Real-time information will help drivers navigate unpredictable traffic conditions on the North Shore, especially during busy times of the day,” said Bowinn Ma, MLA for North Vancouver-Lonsdale.
“Through this project, and the work of the Integrated North Shore Transportation Strategy, our government is delivering solutions that will prevent collisions and help people get home to their families safely and quickly.”
The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, the City of North Vancouver, the District of North Vancouver and the District of West Vancouver will cost share the pilot project to lease the digital signs at a cost of about $23,000 per month.
“We know that people are frustrated with traffic queues that can occur when there is an accident or a vehicle breaks down,” said Claire Trevena, Minister for Transportation and Infrastructure. “That’s why we’re setting up a series of digital signs to inform drivers of what’s going on, helping them to detour quickly and avoid the scene of an incident.”
- Digital message signs have been placed at the following locations:
- 15th Street northbound between Kings Avenue and Lawson Avenue
- Highway 1 eastbound between 21st Street on-ramp and 15th Street off-ramp
- Capilano Road northbound between Garden Avenue and Fullerton Avenue
- Highway 1 westbound between Westview Drive on-ramp Capilano Road off-ramp
- Highway 1 eastbound between Westview Drive on-ramp and Lonsdale Avenue off-ramp
- Highway 1 eastbound, just past the Lonsdale Ave. off-ramp
- Lonsdale Avenue southbound between 29th Street and 27th Street
- Lonsdale Avenue northbound between 21st Street and 22nd Street
- Highway 1 westbound between the Lonsdale on-ramp and Lynn Valley off-ramp
- Boulevard Crescent northbound between 19th Street E and 21st Street E
- Lynn Valley Road southbound between 27th Street and St. Christopher Road
- Mountain Highway southbound between Kirkstone Road and 18th Street E
- Mt. Seymour Parkway westbound between Riverside Drive W and Seymour Boulevard
- Highway 1 westbound between the 1st Street on-ramp and Hastings Street off-ramp
- West Georgia Street westbound between Cardero Street and Bidwell Street
- Marine Drive eastbound at 17th Street
- Locations are subject to change due to changes in operational needs and requirements.
NOTE: The North Shore Daily Post welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.