A youth has been arrested and criminal charges are being recommended in connection with a social media post that threatened the safety of two West Vancouver schools.
On March 22, shortly after 9 am, police received information regarding a social media post that had been circulating overnight. The social media post threatened an act of violence towards two West Vancouver schools.
Officers took immediate action and notified the West Vancouver Schools associate superintendent of the incident.
A thorough investigation was conducted and a suspect was quickly identified, and was taken into custody without incident.
The youth was later released from custody with strict conditions of release.
Criminal charges are being recommended.
The officers conducted an in-depth risk assessment and concluded that the individual had no means to carry out these threats.
“We take all threats to schools very seriously,” says Cst. Nicole Braithwaite.
“The investigation is ongoing and we continue to work closely with the school district on this matter,” says Cst. Nicole Braithwaite
“We are confident given the strict conditions of his release that there is no ongoing threat to the safety of West Vancouver School District students and staff. We want to reassure parents and their children that it is safe for students to go to school after spring break.”
NOTE: The North Shore Daily Post welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.