The BC SPCA Vancouver Branch is seeking help from public to care for a husky puppy called Bear who nearly who nearly died from a drug overdose.
“We rushed Bear to the vet and by the time we arrived he was unconscious. A toxicity test revealed that Bear had high levels of THC in his little body,” says SPCA Vancouver branch manager Jodi Dunlop.
“With recreational marijuana now legal in Canada, I think pet guardians need to be extremely careful.”
It took Bear several days to recover and start acting like a normal curious, energetic and playful puppy. Emergency veterinary care, vaccinations and neuter surgery for this 11-week-old puppy has reached a total of $2,730.
“If you suspect your pet has ingested drugs take them to see a vet immediately and be honest about what happened to them,” says Dunlop. “Some people may be reluctant to be upfront about what happened, but vets need to act quickly – it could be a matter of life and death for their pet.”
If you can help Bear and other animals in need at the Vancouver SPCA, please visit spca.bc.ca/medicalemergency or visit the branch at 1205 East 7th Avenue, Vancouver, 604-879-7721.
NOTE: The North Shore Daily Post welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.