The BC SPCA Vancouver Branch is seeking help from public to care for a husky puppy called Bear who nearly who nearly died from a drug overdose.
“We rushed Bear to the vet and by the time we arrived he was unconscious. A toxicity test revealed that Bear had high levels of THC in his little body,” says SPCA Vancouver branch manager Jodi Dunlop.
“With recreational marijuana now legal in Canada, I think pet guardians need to be extremely careful.”
It took Bear several days to recover and start acting like a normal curious, energetic and playful puppy. Emergency veterinary care, vaccinations and neuter surgery for this 11-week-old puppy has reached a total of $2,730.
“If you suspect your pet has ingested drugs take them to see a vet immediately and be honest about what happened to them,” says Dunlop. “Some people may be reluctant to be upfront about what happened, but vets need to act quickly – it could be a matter of life and death for their pet.”