North Vancouver has always been home. I grew up in Deep Cove going to Blueridge and Sherwood Park Elementary Schools and graduated from Seycove Secondary. My children went to Capilano Elementary and graduated from Carson Graham Secondary. I currently reside in Pemberton Heights.
I have spent many years as a parent attending PAC meetings, volunteering with sports teams, special events or in the classroom, playing and coaching soccer, and supporting my children’s education. I am excited to give back to my community and be involved in local education priorities in the role of School Board Trustee.
Why I decided to run
• We must ensure that our children transition safely back to their routine as we move out of the COVD-19 pandemic. This will be my top priority.
• Good governance and responsible fiscal management will be essential with our budget under a great deal of pressure as we manage the effects of the pandemic on the school system. I have am determined to deliver on this essential element.
• Health and wellness will be a necessary focus for the wellbeing of our children, families, teachers, education assistants, and administration. My professional experience provides me with the tools to make this a reality.
My platform aligns with the 2021-2031 SD44 School Board Strategic Plan Draft Goals
• Health and Well-being
• Student Centred Education
• Inclusive Culture
• Reconciliation and Healing
• Sustainable Nature-Based Learning
• Innovative Instruction
My commitment is to advocate and support
• Student Centred education with diverse learning strategies to meet students’ diverse learning needs.
• Physical and mental health practices in the classroom through social emotional learning, physical literacy, and physical activity.
• Budget priorities that ensure the needs of students and staff as we navigate our way through the pandemic and beyond.
I have built my career within Vancouver Coastal Health, first working in rehabilitation as a recreation therapist at GF Strong, and for the last 14 years in population health on the North Shore, as the active living coordinator. I have strong connections across all sectors of the community and bring valuable experience working with diverse populations, advocating for opportunities with health and wellness, physical activity, and physical literacy.
Thank you for connecting with my campaign, I look forward to serving the community as School Trustee in North Vancouver.
Jo-Anne Burleigh is running for SD44 School Board Trustee in by-election on May 29th.